Press "Enter" to skip to content

AUV Thrust Module Design Progress

A quick update on some design work I’ve been picking away at recently. I’ve managed to roughly place all the parts for the drivetrain in the thrust module and started work on the control fin motor/gear layout. Still all subject to change, but it looks like I’ll be able to fit everything I need in the tail cone.

Cut-away view of the work in progress AUV propulsion module.
Cut-away view of the work in progress AUV propulsion module.

Next step of this design is to figure how to seal the control surface shafts. Ideally, those will be magnetic couplers as well, but I have to analyze how much torque will be required, and how much I can transmit with a small magnetic coupler. Failing that, I’ll design it to use Ikelite glands — I have an Ikelite camera case which uses these, and the performance seems good.

I found a source for BLDC gear motors that run off 24 volts and aren’t insanely expensive, which I’m hoping to use for the¬†control surfaces. Standard hobby servos run of much lower voltages, and I was hoping to implement my own control scheme for the motors — More on that later, as I’ve ordered one motor to test out to verify it will actually be suitable.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *