Just a minor progress update. I’ve been adjusting the CAD design and working on some additional parts. A snapshot below….
I also finished grooving the prototype bulkhead ring. It wasn’t super easy, and I’ll need to experiment with feeds and speed some more to get nicer cuts. I’ve also had a plastic order come in, so I’ve done a test fit of the bulkhead into an extra piece of acrylic tube. It’s a tight, but good fit! I just need to machine the remaining bulkheads and anodize them before I start pressure testing.
I’ve also been working away on the nosecone plug — Adding layers, then machining it down to get it smooth — Once it’s in the right shape, I’ll manually sand it smooth and start the process of sealing with epoxy. This is a pretty messy operation, as the spackle turns to dust, so I typically do the machining with the vacuum hose right beside to suck it all up.
In the photo below, you’ll also notice the standoff I made to mount the toolposts higher in order to machine large diameter parts — Here I’ve got two spacers mounted to get over 6″ swing over the bed with the Sherline lathe. Since it’s a very soft material, I think it’s okay, but this would be quite non-ideal for machining anything harder. (To do the outside of the bulkhead rings, I just mount a single spacer and use the smaller toolpost. Still not as rigid as I’d like, but it’ll do for this small job. I do wish I had room for a bigger machine, though…)